Muslim American Experience
Dr. Noor Ali, EdD
- Assistant Professor at Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies, Graduate School of Education
- Concentration Lead for Transformative School Leadership in the Ed.D. Program at Northeastern University
- Founder of MusCrit, a subset of Critical Race Theory for understanding the lived experiences of Muslim Americans
- Author of Counter-narratives of Muslim American Women: Making Space for MusCrit
- Veteran teacher in K-8 education and Principal of Al-Hamra Academy
- Commissioner for New England Association for Schools and Colleges (NEASC), Commission of Independent Schools
- Trustee to the Shrewsbury Public Library
- Doctorate of Education from Northeastern University
Focus and Reality
- Muslims Americans are a growing presence in U.S., but still face negative views from the public and growing discrimination in their daily lives.
- Muslim-Americans in the United States filed 5,156 complaints in 2022 and 6,720 complaints in 2021 with the Council on Islamic-American Relations (CAIR). 2022’s figure is over a three-fold increase from 1,516 in 2001.
Why She Cares
Dr. Ali has developed a micro theoretical framework, MusCrit as a subset of Critical Race Theory where she posits a framing for understanding the lived experiences of Muslim Americans. Her book is titled Counter-narratives of Muslim American Women: Making Space for MusCrit. She has published extensively on topics of MusCrit, racialization of religion, demystifying Critical Race Theory, leadership, social justice, and experiential learning.
MusCrit posits that due to a racialization of religion and an assigned “groupness”, the Muslim American experience is often seen as monolithic. Muslim Americans continue to experience oppressive inequities ranging from microaggressions to outright actions of violence, bigotry, and discrimination.
She has published extensively on topics of MusCrit, racialization of religion, demystifying Critical Race Theory, leadership, social justice, and experiential learning.
Read publications by Dr. Ali
- Towards MusCrit: Counter-narratives of Muslim American Youth (2022)
- Using Double Consciousness to Make Space for Muslim America (2021)
- On Othering Our Future (2020)
Ask Your Question
MyAsianVoice reviews all submitted questions. Questions considered for publication will include answers or insights from experts that will be published on our site for all to benefit. If your question is chosen for publication, your email and name will not be shown nor shared.
At MyAsianVoice, we bridge institutions and government to our collective for data equity, data disaggregation, polling, surveys and research so that Asian representation is included.Add me to your list! >>